History of The Old Furniture Factory
1895: Neighbor Niles Poulsen purchased the factory and machinery and it was later know as the Klein Wright Building.
1910: Sometime around 1910 the Old Round Hill School, which was located across the street on the site of the present day Methodist Parsonage, burned down. While the new school was being built on High Street, The Old Furniture Factory served as a temporary schoolhouse from 1911-1912.
1915: The building was used for William Osburn’s grocery store an a tin shop occupied by Niels Poulsen’s son, K. Luther Poulsen. During prohibition, it served as a speak-easy.
1950: Herrell’s general store was located here in the 1950s and early 1960s. A hand painted Coca-Cola sign on the sign of the building was uncovered during recent restoration work.
1985: Wally Johnson along with a partner purchased the Old Furniture Factory in 1985 and operated American Woodworkers Incorporated until 1997 when AWI moved. During this time, historic reproduction cabinetry and stairs for many of the regions’ historic homes were built by hand in what is now the building’s woodshop.
1997: American Woodcrafters Incorporated leaves the Old Furniture Factory and Wally Johnson and Carolyn Kruger become owners of the building.
2001: From 2001 until 2009 The Old Furniture Factory was home to the Round Hill Arts Center founded by building owners Wally Johnson and Carolyn Kruger. In 2009 the Round Hill Arts Center moved to their new location at Hill High Orchard in Round Hill. For information regarding Round Hill Arts Center activities please refer to their website at www.roundhillartscenter.org.
2011: Renovations began on the building and include a new interior and exterior staircase, a large deck at the rear of the building, new siding, exterior painting, handicap accessable male and female restrooms and a fire supression system. When improvements are complete, it is anticipated that we will be able to have upwards of 300 people in the building at any given time.